Admittedly unrealistic, but what’s the best (cheapest) way to get to the UK from America? (1 Viewer)

RalphMyers

Lurker
I see a few problems.

The Ocean I have to traverse.

(legal method) The tens of thousands of dollars I would have to save for the visa. Not an option.

I’m American with an extremely Midwest accent and would stick out like a sore thumb.

is immigrating to the Uk without being loaded actually doable? I would probably receive no sympathy, and at best I’d be a football hooligan or something.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

kitkat

Pilgrim
Cheapest flights (when I flew) were newark to london heathrow. ~$600
How long do you wanna stay? You don't need a visa for up to 6 months usually, you're an american citizen
Then, you hop over to Europe and go around the schengen region for a few months. no borders. If you need to go for a quick visa run, hop over to morocco for a month or so.

Raggamuffin

Wanderer
Don't aspire to be a football hooligan - please - take it from a Brit, it's neither positive nor fashionable. Cargo ships / working vessels are a cheap way to travel over but you'd have to book way in advance, also not sure what new policies are about during this time... Check it out. Fully possible, England can be an unsympathetic place, as with anywhere, it completely depends on where you are but there's always gonna be good folk!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
so, your question is unclear for a few reasons. your thread title asks how to get to the uk from america for cheap, but your OP says you want to move there permanently? please clarify what your intentions are and i'll be able to provide a more accurate answer.

to answer your thread title, pretty much all options are going to be NYC to London. @kitkat mentioned $600, but that seems awfully expensive to me. pre-covid, i was seeing one way tickets for around $250-300, and as low as $175 if you really scour the travel deals websites.

(legal method) The tens of thousands of dollars I would have to save for the visa. Not an option.

im not sure where you're getting the 'tens of thousands of dollars' price point. i know plenty of people that have gotten visas in the UK for a fraction of that price, so im thinking you're just making assumptions here.

i would look into possible work or study visas, but since i don't know what your situation is i can't be more specific. give us more details and I might have some more ideas for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.