any border hopping advice (1 Viewer)

stray

Lurker
tips on travelling mexico to south america without a passport. is it as suicidal as people make it sound on yahoo answers? can you get documents by becoming a citizen of any of those countries?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Everymanalion

Wanderer
Easy, just be smart and know where to cross, the more south you get the easier it is to hop borders, from the US to Mexico is easy unless you hit a checkpoint, stay off major highways and bus lines. Mexico-Guatemala is easy as shit and easier as you go south.

zephyr23

Rambler
you dont need a passport to go from usa to mexico you can just walk through you just need passport to get back in but if u are amarican they wont deny you.

stray

Lurker
Easy, just be smart and know where to cross, the more south you get the easier it is to hop borders, from the US to Mexico is easy unless you hit a checkpoint, stay off major highways and bus lines. Mexico-Guatemala is easy as shit and easier as you go south.

have you done it? that's good advice. i'll stick to bus mainly to cover distance outta northern mexico but when i cross countries hopefully i can hike accross or get help.

Everymanalion

Wanderer
Without a passport? No. But I have meet atleast 10 people down here who have, the issue is just getting out of northern Mexico and past the checkpoints up there, once you get like 200 miles into northern Mexico you are golden, they won't fuck with you(Passport wise) and as soon as you hit Guatemala it just gets easier from there on out, I have actually went from Guatemala to Panama without getting my passport stamped or anyone checking it all in one trip, not one person asked to see it.

Now mind you I should have been responsible and made sure they stamped it and made everything official but its so easy to just walk across some of the Central American borders, standing in a line for two hours to get a stamp was not my priority at 18.

It's not suicidal, just be smart and know if you do get caught there is a 50/50 chance they wont give a shit or you will go to jail and possibly get deported. Depends on the person you are dealing with, how respectful you are and how they feel that day.

What kind of documents are you trying to get? Like to become a citizen? If so it really depends on the country exactly. Goodluck man.

lenalove206

Lurker
Hi, I know you can just walk into mexico but to get out of the border area you have to pass military checkpoints. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this? How do you avoid getting your paperwork checked?

I'm going to be taking a bus. I'll probably hitchike in south mexico or other areas but i think the border area/north is dangerous, right? and i've never hitchhiked before..

Everymanalion

Wanderer
Hi, I know you can just walk into mexico but to get out of the border area you have to pass military checkpoints. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this? How do you avoid getting your paperwork checked?

I'm going to be taking a bus. I'll probably hitchike in south mexico or other areas but i think the border area/north is dangerous, right? and i've never hitchhiked before..

Hitching in Mexico is a fuckin' pastime, its easier than the US trust me but yes, the north is terribly dangerous, getting past border checkpoints means do NOT take a bus, they target those for large scale searches, take smaller roads and back roads and hitch with the locals. Just use common sense and you won't get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$105.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $105.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.