Banned Ban issued to user Philip the Vagabond (1 Viewer)

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
@MFB- Maybe so, but when folks engage in very long (981 words!) personal attacks on me, i am inclined to defend myself.

Not arguing about which 62 year olds with campers they want to ban anymore, just replying to some of @Engineer J Lupo 's scurrilous personal attacks.

It has often been observed that people sometimes engage in personal attacks when they have no better arguments.

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
@Older Than Dirt is starting shit, but it's good shit. Good on him for challenging all our notions we may deem as right, wrong, creepy or otherwise.

I read both 62yo guys posts and I am baffled, I am totally unable to read between the lines, if there is any reading. EITHER: They were both just trying to go to "pound town", OR they may just have prostate cancer and are looking to surround themselves with young attractive people. The world may never know...how long it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
@Engineer J Lupo : Yes, i was making that up too:

@Matt Derrick
tags-png.53159

Hey Matt this guy tagged you and I earlier today. This is a screen shot of my notifications. I never received the notification I was tagged. Can you look into this bug?

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
Women wouldn't assume bad faith if men weren't so much more likely to attack them. Yall work on your shit and hold men accountable for the shit they do or try to do, don't shift the focus to what-about-isms like this.
i wish the part in bold was anywhere near feasible. there is no way anyone can legitimately blame men for what other men do, we don't have any control over each other.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i wish the part in bold was anywhere near feasible. there is no way anyone can legitimately blame men for what other men do, we don't have any control over each other.
I agree, but I believe what they are trying to convey is that there aren't currently enough men calling out other men on their bs, and that's something we need to start taking steps towards changing.

roughdraft

I agree, but I believe what they are trying to convey is that there aren't currently enough men calling out other men on their bs, and that's something we need to start taking steps towards changing.
that'd be ideal - i just have no idea how that'd work - it seems in most cases for *anything* that the ol'-honest cooperation and teamwork is shot to shit -

and on top of that i'd imagine that the males who are goin to go around raping and abusing women aren't exactly the same type that would respect anyone 'callin them on their bs'. so i don't see how pointin the finger at one man for what another man does will result in justice

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
that'd be ideal - i just have no idea how that'd work - it seems in most cases for *anything* that the ol'-honest cooperation and teamwork is shot to shit -

and on top of that i'd imagine that the males who are goin to go around raping and abusing women aren't exactly the same type that would respect anyone 'callin them on their bs'. so i don't see how pointin the finger at one man for what another man does will result in justice
You lead by example, it's a complex fabric of very nuanced actions that start at birth.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com

I do think it can be as simple as saying something in a social situation amongst men that you might not usually. Baby steps. Eventually, down the line, men as a social group will (hopefully) evolve beyond such patriarchal thinking.

Even just saying 'hey man that's not cool' when a man calls a woman a bitch/whore/slut can eventually have impact if enough people do it.

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
I don't think rapists really care about other people thinking they are bad people for raping someone.

roughdraft

I do think it can be as simple as saying something in a social situation amongst men that you might not usually. Baby steps. Eventually, down the line, men as a social group will (hopefully) evolve beyond such patriarchal thinking.

Even just saying 'hey man that's not cool' when a man calls a woman a bitch/whore/slut can eventually have impact if enough people do it.
i strongly agree and appreciate how you put this

maybe this should be a thread, i dunno

i like that we can discuss this

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
And you are probably right. Men engage in way more violence than women, and that probably includes sexual violence. That might be one non-sexual reason an elderly guy would prefer to travel with women- he's afraid of being robbed.
That might be, and I'm not one to make the call on actual intent, just how women perceive an offer like that from a man who has no established reputation and follows up by lashing out with anger anyway. This guy was red flag after red flag, and the idea of trying it out just in case we misread the situation and he's actually a super nice guy - that isn't something most women are going to do. Why take an increased risk just to prove you can give someone the benefit of the doubt? Caution is a remarkably good survival skill, and caution is exactly what is exercised when situations like this arise. There's no need to wait for a victim when you see a potentially dangerous situation and have the power to fix that situation.

This dude was asked, why just women? And instead of being like "well last time i rode with guys they jumped me and took a bunch of my shit and it just doesnt sit right with me right now, so for my own peace of mind I'm only traveling with women for a while," which I would have seen as lowering a red flag significantly, instead of doing that he threw a temper tantrum, which just put spotlights and flashy signs pointing directly to the red flag.

But i don't think your argument is as telling as you think, even if you are correct. Very few men rape women- to assume all men are rapists may or may not be a good survival strategy, but cuts one off from interaction with almost half of humans.
sure, which is why as a general statement avoiding men in all situations at all times is pretty untenable. Exercising discretion in who you travel with is entirely within your control 9/10 times, though, and not wanting to share a porch with a male stranger while you're stuck on machinery traveling 70mph through the middle of nowhere is a bit more understandable than not wanting to be around men when you go to Wal Mart to grab snacks. Of course, everyone is smart and vets their road dogs anyway, so that helps lessen the problem in theory.

EphemeralStick

The Guay Agenda
Hold on a second. I need to point out something that @Matt Derrick and @Engineer J Lupo overlooked. No fault on them, it's hard to remember every single report we get. However I specifically remember this one.

The 62 year old guy @NewMexicoJim DID get reported for creeping on someone. He DID receive a warning and that was that. The reason he didn't get banned was because when we pointed out his behavior; He Backed Off And Apologized And Hasn't Caused Any Problems Since. This user, Philip The Vagabond, proceeded to lose his shit at his warning and THAT is what resulted in getting banned. Something @Older Than Dirt should realize is that just because you are not seeing every single action taken on the site doesn't mean we're not doing anything.

It is not our job to sit around and take any and all abuse people throw at us and not take any action in return. Especially when the person harassing us over a warning on an internet forum is also making other users feel uncomfortable. Why in the hell would anyone advocate for someone like that to be a part of your community?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$115.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $115.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.