Can you walk long distances with a heavy pack? (1 Viewer)

Tengu91

Wanderer
My experiences as an army infantryman in Afghanistan confirm that yes; you can indeed go long distances with a heavy pack! Just remember you gotta hydrate or you'll diedrate (something I heard from a lift operator in Colorado and have since adopted as a personal motto). Don't kill yourself with it though. Rest when you need to rest, and take good care of your feet! Eventually your feet will be tough as leather, but until then I'd invest in some moleskin.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Tengu91

Wanderer
Also, look into the book "A Walk Across America" and its sequel "The Walk West" by Peter Jenkins. He and his dog traversed the US completely on foot and lived out of his rucksack.

Johny

Wanderer
You guys are more man than I ever will be - or ever was. Shoestring says that his pack’s from 65-75lbs. He’s been toting huge amount of gear/weight for a long time, plus that stuffed 5 gallon bucket of road-food, plus water.
Shoestring is a good dude , used to talk with him quite often , we sorta stopped do to mutal friends we shared that either he dont like or I dont like , one recently died though

Johny

Wanderer
Perfect explanation. I always tell myself I'm carrying way too much shit, then continue to prove myself wrong.

Riding over mountain passes in the winter, and then going to the desert a week later requires lots of different gear.
I actually threw the packs on and walked a few miles yesterday (huge argument with my girl truthfully) and can still do it even after not wearing them or traveling 2 years .
But im not just sitting on my ass , I'm a carpenter and basically climb and carry heavy shit for a living 😆

Johny

Wanderer
When you live out of a pack 24/7 -365 I subscribe to the moto "better to have and not need , then need and not have" and ive always ended up back in montana

Johny

Wanderer
Oh for sure man , i had doc martins and could literally feel the arches of my feet flattening out and the skin stretching , it hurt sooooo bad , i ditched those in Denton Texas for some air force combat boots I " found" at a salvation army donation box .
Now I'm big pimpin in redwing 10877's , most comfortable boots ive ever had and on my second pair , but they aint cheap (mine were right at $400 out the door)