Freight Boat a.k.a Cargo Ship hoppin (1 Viewer)

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
People hop freight trains but any of you got any stories bout hoppin cargo ships? what do you guys think about it?

boat-pic.png

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

superphoenix

Wanderer
Had a buddy who was on one for a couple of months. Don't know if I'd say he "hopped"per se. I think it was more like he took a job there. I'm sure someone's done it at some point in history!

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Had a buddy who was on one for a couple of months. Don't know if I'd say he "hopped"per se. I think it was more like he took a job there. I'm sure someone's done it at some point in history!

People have. This site shows guidelines for crew people to use if they find someone on board.

Last edited:

Dmac

Nomad
It’s not hopping, but many of the cargo ships do have staterooms that can be booked for passage. I recently watched a couple videos about it on YouTube.

Dameon

Nomad
It’s not hopping, but many of the cargo ships do have staterooms that can be booked for passage. I recently watched a couple videos about it on YouTube.
This is true...unfortunately, it's about the same cost as going on a cruise, if not more expensive

morphine

Lurker
If you could sneak on a (very big) cruise ship, wouldn't that be alot easier? Once you're inside yiu just have to find a place to sleep, food and drink are provided for free. Maybe even make a fake ticket so if someone on board wants to see it you have something to show? As long as they don't check with the passenger list that could work.

On a cargo ship you'd need food and water for many weeks unless you plan on stealing that on board and relying on that might be a bad idea. Unless you decide to hide in a food container ofcourse. Also getting on a cargo ship unseen probably isnt as easy as getting on a train. And if you're seen by someone there is no was to get away.

And if you had done this during the corona thing you'd be stuck on a ship now. They don't let the crew leave the cargo ships right now, so someone travelling on one of them probably couldn't get off either.

ali

StP Admin
Admin
I've traveled on a container ship before as a legal passenger and Dameon is right - it is very expensive for what you get (room and board). On the other hand, it's a pretty unique form of travel and well worth it if you have the cash.

One thing that i think would be extremely difficult to do is sneaking in and out of container ports. The ships float around in the harbor for ages, then go in to dock for the shortest amount of time possible. Container ports are massive, and heavily patrolled. The containers load and unload remarkably quickly. It'd be tough to get up the gangplank because it's guarded full-time, and riding a container - unless you're inside - would be virtually impossible to do without being seen. You may also land 6 containers up and then you're screwed.

I wonder if one way to do it would be to sail out in a dinghy to international waters and get "rescued" by a crew en route, but that would be so much effort and paperwork i imagine you'd be better off just sailing to your destination yourself.

If you did manage to make it on the ship undetected, i think you could probably sneak about okay. They are very large and there are a bunch of places to hide. The ship i was on had a half court for basketball out the back, which i never saw in use. The crew is always on patrol and cleaning, but i suppose you could figure out the roster if you had a good hiding spot and the time. Maybe hanging out in a life raft would be a good spot, as long as you got out during drills and inspections.

ali

StP Admin
Admin
Anyone interested in what the insides of the hold look like in these epic bits of machinery, i was just pointed to this video:

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.