Hi I'm Perry, good to be here (1 Viewer)

Perry

Lurker
Hi, my internet name is perry :) I accidentally wrote an essay, I'm sorry.

23f, wouldn't call myself a traveler or nomad or anything, just someone who likes going on the road between jobs.

I like thinking about how people traveled in the past, how it affected their perception of the world. Like the first time you ride your bike through a city you've only seen through a car window. Every style of traveling opens your eyes to something you previously overlooked, and I want to try them all.

I've done a bike tour, some hitchhiking, and soon to begin 2 months of traveling in a lil subaru forester. I like long bus rides and flights, waiting in the airport, long layovers. If seasickness doesn't get me first, I want to sail someday. Train hop. Walk all the way across a country. Go from one state to another on a river route...is that even possible? Are there any cross-country horseback routes left in the world? Camels? Rafting across the bayou?

In a couple weeks, I'll be in my car heading southwest and then southeast. Nervous yet excited. This is somehow more nerve-wracking hitchhiking. Having more control than I'm used to will feel weird at first.

This forum seems so full of cool people who have their own reasons for moving around in the way that they do. There's a lot to learn. It's good to be here, nice to meet you. :)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Welcome!

What's your favorite place you've bike toured?

If you're looking for some camelback inspration...check out the book Tracks by Robyn Davidson, a girl who traveled across part of Australia by camel by herself in the 80s!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
welcome! you might want to check out slab city when you're in the SW. if you come through austin, tx and want a place to crash let me know!

Tony G

Pilgrim
Top Poster of the Month
Hi, my internet name is perry :) I accidentally wrote an essay, I'm sorry.

23f, wouldn't call myself a traveler or nomad or anything, just someone who likes going on the road between jobs.

I like thinking about how people traveled in the past, how it affected their perception of the world. Like the first time you ride your bike through a city you've only seen through a car window. Every style of traveling opens your eyes to something you previously overlooked, and I want to try them all.

I've done a bike tour, some hitchhiking, and soon to begin 2 months of traveling in a lil subaru forester. I like long bus rides and flights, waiting in the airport, long layovers. If seasickness doesn't get me first, I want to sail someday. Train hop. Walk all the way across a country. Go from one state to another on a river route...is that even possible? Are there any cross-country horseback routes left in the world? Camels? Rafting across the bayou?

In a couple weeks, I'll be in my car heading southwest and then southeast. Nervous yet excited. This is somehow more nerve-wracking hitchhiking. Having more control than I'm used to will feel weird at first.

This forum seems so full of cool people who have their own reasons for moving around in the way that they do. There's a lot to learn. It's good to be here, nice to meet you. :)
welcome to stp im tony welcome if u have any questions ask me or matt hes head honcho round here

Welcome to SPT. Its nice to see an essay as you called it for an introduction. Its a good break from the usual "hi I'm (insert name) I'm looking for someone to teach me everything."
Be sure to share some of your stories from your travels with us in the travel stories section.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.