My pack. The nice expensive deathtrap (Advice?) (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 16034

I closed my account
I just bought the most amazing pack in the world. It's three pounds, fits me like a glove. All the weight is on my hips and not my shoulders/back. I fucking love this pack. But there's a teensy tiny little problem:

SWEET HELLO KITTIE JESUS THIS THING HAS SO MANY FUCKING STRAPS AND HOOKS AND LOOPS. IF SOMEONE OR SOMETHING GETS CAUGHT ON THEM I'M FUCKING DEAD.

So far I have cut off a lot of the more useless straps and burned the ends to keep it from fraying. But I'm almost thinking about creating my own bag-like cover for this pack. That way: 1. The pack doesn't look as nice as it is. 2. I can use such unique fabric that if some asshole tries to snatch it people would know instantly that it's mine. and 3. It will keep all the straps inside this little cover-like-thing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get that done? I accidentally just cut the hook off that was supposed to attach the rain cover, but the rain cover also doesn't cover all the straps.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
D

Deleted member 16034

I closed my account
Pictures, and mind you this is after I cut off 8 different straps and hooks.

Attachments

• 13214384_10154159803638164_729524608_o.jpg
    13214384_10154159803638164_729524608_o.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 13262211_10154159803318164_311835696_o.jpg
    13262211_10154159803318164_311835696_o.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 13275076_10154159803393164_1877692900_o.jpg
    13275076_10154159803393164_1877692900_o.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 319

Itvo

Looks a lot like the Northface Stormbreaker 35 I've got. Only a little bit bigger. Mine is really on the small side and has a ton of straps hanging everywhere. But for as small as it is, the hip straps are nice.

Does yours hold anything on its side mesh pounds when loaded? They seemed to have sewed the top band so tight I couldn't really get anything but a sharpie in mine.

You could get some of that vinyl mat stuff at the Jo-Anns or any fabric store. You can stitch it and fold it but it is rigid and waterproof. Probably might last a while since I've seen people use it to upholster cars. I could see making tube like thing with a bunch of grommet buttons and then adding in some cinch chords to pull it tight. That way you can have the whole thing inside the shoulder straps while also being able to cinch the thing tight to your pack. Add some buttons to the top too so that rain won't get in.

Haystack

Wanderer
What I would do is get some tough type of material, perhaps something that deflects rain. Sew it up so its like one of those millitary style duffle bags that opens at the top. Cut some holes for the straps to go though then put it over your pack, kinda like a poncho for your pack. Hopefully I explained tgat good enough to make sense to people. Basically just a cover that slips over it and has holes for the back straps to go through. Would look clean and protect your pack, just won't be easy to access the pack in a hurry without taking the cover off. Just an idea

Desperado Deluxe

Wise Sage
Sew fabric over where the straps are/were. Then you could have removed it if you still wanted them later on. Well looks like you already cut them off..

I don't get why people are so paranoid about getting their straps caught up. just make sure shits secured and plan accordingly.

Haystack

Wanderer
I don't get why people are so paranoid about getting their straps caught up. just make sure shits secured and plan accordingly.

I think it's mostly train riders that are worried about it. I wouldn't wanna take any risks of getting caught up by my straps either. Doesn't matter how well they're secured, they can still get caught up and destroy you. I believe Matt had that happen to him and he's lucky that he didn't get seriously hurt.

Desperado Deluxe

Wise Sage
I think it's mostly train riders that are worried about it. I wouldn't wanna take any risks of getting caught up by my straps either. Doesn't matter how well they're secured, they can still get caught up and destroy you. I believe Matt had that happen to him and he's lucky that he didn't get seriously hurt.

Ahem I am a fairly seasoned rider. I've seen people cut off straps that would otherwise not be a bother if they were secured properly. And would serve good purpose if they kept them. I think the pack that Matt had that your talking about was a 70s style external frame pack which yes they are fucking bullshit. He mentioned it in the stp guide to train hopping. External frames are bullshit. I had a large alice w/ frame for a long time and I got sick of it. Now I have a med.

Haystack

Wanderer
Ahem I am a fairly seasoned rider. I've seen people cut off straps that would otherwise not be a bother if they were secured properly. And would serve good purpose if they kept them. I think the pack that Matt had that your talking about was a 70s style external frame pack which yes they are fucking bullshit. He mentioned it in the stp guide to train hopping. External frames are bullshit. I had a large alice w/ frame for a long time and I got sick of it. Now I have a med.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining. I wasn't trying to belittle your riding experience or knowledge in anyway. Straps just freak me out after hearing all of the stories.

Desperado Deluxe

Wise Sage
Ah ok, thanks for explaining. I wasn't trying to belittle your riding experience or knowledge in anyway. Straps just freak me out after hearing all of the stories.

I didn't think you were I just wanted to say I have experience in the field. And my point was stories are just stories and if you have your shit buckled down straight (in more ways than one pun somewhat intended) you'll be alright.

D

Deleted member 16034

I closed my account
Does yours hold anything on its side mesh pounds when loaded? They seemed to have sewed the top band so tight I couldn't really get anything but a sharpie in mine.

I'm not sure about when loaded, I don't really have anything packed yet since I'm not leaving for another three months. But it seems like it can hold a lot

Itvo

I went with the 35 because it was cheaper and figured it would force me to be wise about what I carried and also because without a tarp and sleeping bag tethered to it, it looks like some college kids bag. Mine has 3 million straps hanging off of it as well but I'm not hoping trains right now so I'll cut them off as I get used to it. I can squeeze a powerade bottle in the side mesh things if I was forced but I foresee them ripping at some point. By then I will probably have weaved some paracord cozies and hooked them to the back of it.

Another idea I thought of is using some kind of oversize jacket made of synthetic material that could be drowned in mink oil that has cinch straps at the bottom of the jacket. You could tie the arms around it and cover up everything in one go while having a somewhat water proofed pack and a waterproof jacket. Especially if you are starting in August.

autumn

Lurker
I also have a small yuppie pack. I keep it in jax where I occasionally house up with some hippies. It's a little osprey 35. I trimmed down & properly sealed dangling straps with fray-away. Then I patched over the osprey logo so my pack isn't a giant target for thieves. Mine is all black so the quality isn't really apparent on first glance. I think a cover is probably a good idea. Though, if you're going to be riding, I don't see why you'd want it to be brightly colored. You're more likely to get spotted with a neon pack (either by crew, bull or strangers, on and off of trains) and that's likely to bring more trouble than it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $95.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $95.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.