New to Traveller culture, help needed. (1 Viewer)

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Hello everyone, my name is Darby, I'm from Louisville Kentucky and that's me in the pic (old picture, about 2 years). So I've been couch surfing for about 2-3 years because I've been completely broke and could bit afford my own place. I busted my ass at dead end minimum wage jobs that treated me like dog shit, I have no car or drivers license, no house, no money, currently stuck In Danville KY trying to get out. Anyway, so after long deep thinking over decided to pick up the travel lifestyle..I'm young still (19 almost 20) and I should enjoy life instead of dreading it like I currently have been. I am looking for advice (LOTS of advice), maybe later down the road some traveler companions. I saw the book Matt wrote called the anarchist
Guide to travel and I'm going to order that and read it. Thank you so much for your time

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

SomeDumbFluff

Rambler
Website
www.furaffinity.net
hitchhiking is easier than you imagine it being,
get a backpack and only pack essentials,
head toward your nearest off ramp.
if anyone (ride giving or not) gives you a bad vibe, get out,
don't wait around for something bad to happen to confirm your suspicions

positive signs make better money while flying,
smile > broke traveling and hungry
things like rideshare and couch surfing are actually pretty legit

what kind of advice were you looking for specifically?

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Somedumbfluff, I was looking for tips, advice to stay safe and alive of course lol, to make money, good places to visit, how to find sleep for the night, how to train hop... basically anything you guys think would help me because I'm literally very new at this.

SomeDumbFluff

Rambler
Website
www.furaffinity.net
Somedumbfluff, I was looking for tips, advice to stay safe and alive of course lol, to make money, good places to visit, how to find sleep for the night, how to train hop... basically anything you guys think would help me because I'm literally very new at this.

many people here say be wary of "under the table work" because they could just take you to their property never to be seen again, but don't let that stop you from pursuing good work, like seasonal harvesting or something.
like i said before, if you get a weird vibe, get out, that's how i've always stayed safe , from creepers anyway
ask locals about weather, in my town at a certain time of year all the underneaths of bridges flood, we've lost lots of people that way,
keep your camp spot high and dry, also the winter months are the HARDEST time to sleep outside,especially without a tent, in the summer you could be almost anywhere, on the islands in between highways in the trees, etc... just check for lawn sprinklers, which honestly are kinda fun to be woken up by sometimes.
as soon as you leave your hometown you'll instantly know where to go
good towns for travelers advertise themselves, but more importantly, you'll have to hit up all those small towns with a population of 5 people on your way through, and sometimes they turn out to be better than traveler towns in a lot of ways, the main one being that they aren't sick of seeing a million dirty hippie faces everyday.
if you are planning on leaving soon, get a BIG camo/ dark green colored tarp, you'll be dry at nights and be better hidden than lets say someone with a bright blue or red tarp. look for sleep areas where you'll have a couple trees, or bushes to hide behind, also watch the area you plan to sleep for a few hours, see how the traffic is, if a lot of people walk by all the time it may not be a good place, also, i always sleep with my backpack and guitar under my head, so if anyone tries anything shady it'll wake me up
(luckily nobody's messed with me sleeping yet)
as for train hopping, that's some REAL scary shit. i'll admit to not having the balls, but i hear there's an informal schedule type document that train hoppers use to assure they are going in the right direction, and not through a tunnel that will kill them. i also hear that the fastest the train should be going when you hop on is zero miles per hour
i'd say that sounds about right.

A

Ajax

I closed my account
I'm broke, very little money and I'm stranded in Danville KY with a railroad not very far. My gf broke up with me last night and I was basically living with her, all my luggage is too heavy to train hop rn so idk how tf I'm gonna get back to Louisville and repack. I got myself in a fucked up situation. So may I ask how you travel? If you don't train hop than how do you get around? Also I advice on what to bring like clothing and supplies and making money. I'm really interested in sight seeing like nature. Oceans, rivers, mountains, etc.

SomeDumbFluff

Rambler
Website
www.furaffinity.net
oh, and read all the articles and great threads here.
a lot of these users have been around the block a few times and have
I'm broke, very little money and I'm stranded in Danville KY with a railroad not very far. My gf broke up with me last night and I was basically living with her, all my luggage is too heavy to train hop rn so idk how tf I'm gonna get back to Louisville and repack. I got myself in a fucked up situation. So may I ask how you travel? If you don't train hop than how do you get around? Also I advice on what to bring like clothing and supplies and making money. I'm really interested in sight seeing like nature. Oceans, rivers, mountains, etc.
"im broke" V
make a sign that has a smiley face on it, stand by a nice intersection or walmart i wont say you'll be a millionaire overnight but i bet you'll at least have 20bucks before you get kicked out or tired of doing it. especially if you give every car your biggest dumb smile.
and have fun with it,
if you really want to travel, you either need to get a vehicle to put all your shit in , or say "fuck all this stuff ive collected, lets go"

i usually hitchhike, it makes me feel ultra alive :3
a sign with a boldly written direction "SOUTH" or town name will usually do the trick
and like i said, it's way easier than you imagine it being,
(just pick a place to go, and just keep truckin' on)
provided you pack light, i only bring one pair of extra clothes, my art book, pencils and a sleeping bag, also a big ass acoustic guitar and it becomes almost not worth carrying every time
a gallon of water is also a lifesaver especially in the summer death heat, i get the milk jug style so i can clip it to my backpack.
depending on how many miles you need to get i bet you'd be able to make it in one day if you just walked until someone picked you up.

another option i've heard about is that churches will sometimes hook travelers up with greyhound passes, say something like " my mom is on her deathbed and wants to see me one last time" or something, they'll usually get you one way at least. but usually only once per church/ town because sometimes they communicate with other churches.

of course i am not an expert in winter travel, since i bunker down every winter because fuck being rained on.

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Ok, thank you. I will definitely try the sign thing. I've never really been homeless before ether so idk much about what I'm doing. I was always poor just never homeless. Anyway, I'll definitely try hitchhiking but I've heard all the scary tales and rumors about people being kidnapped and tortured so I never really wanted to do it but if that's the only way to get around safer than I'll do it. As for the churches thing, in Danville there are no Greyhound stations.. closest one is in Lexington KY and it's too far to walk or hitchhike to. I honestly love the cold weather because I can't deal with heat for very long so I perfer to be homeless in the winter months. It's 1 hour and 30 minutes from Danville KY to Louisville KY so not too far. As for future travelling companions what would you recommend?

SomeDumbFluff

Rambler
Website
www.furaffinity.net
Take a map hitchhiking or have phone data, so you can watch the signs and be sure you're going the direction you need. You'd 100% make it there in one day,
Also train hopping is just super scary to me personally, you probably have an even chance for danger either way,
Read everything about trains posted on this site, make an informed decision
Im just a pussy shit, and scared of trains because im a furry.
And they're loud
And I don't wanna be roadkill x3

As for future traveling companion
I usually pick someone around my age, hang around for a few days, see if they are shady or annoying, a person who is experienced would be good to learn from. Also be careful of ppl who get really drunk, if you can imagine trying to drag a passed out drunk person down the highway side, or onto a traincar.

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Lol that's actually pretty smart. Yeah I mean trains I've never been on, but I heard it's pretty cool to see the sights and I've seen a few posts on here that shows people taking pics of the views on the train.. figured it'd be fun, faster to travel. And you sound pretty cute lol..the whole trains being loud and everything lol. As for finding people my own age...I'm 19 lol, I turn 20 in may 2018, the people my own age are pretty immature or not interested in traveling homeless. More about the new iPhone or how much money they will get. I'm honestly truly nervous tbh but definitely ready to get out and about. I have extreme anxiety so

pallaway

Wayfarer
There's a road dog meet up section. I met two people on here and we all hopped our first train together and it's been a way of life since then. Also if you'll come across people that wanna travel with you. Sleep outside it's nice. After awhile being inside will be suffocating. Find out what cities are good to meet people in. Maybe your friends wanna go. All depends what kinda company you want? Many different walks of people out there. You could try and find a group or a couple friends. I've been solo for a about a month now because no one wants to ride metal in the snow, but I'm going to florida after the holidays to walk and see tropical nature. Btw Florida sucks for travelling. Hard to hitchhike and alotta fec is suicide or barely able to hide in. Take off at night. I don't trust that place. Find someone that lives on the road and you'll learn everything along the way. Million different ways. I started off on a roadbike with all my shit, but left it with a friend to travel all the other ways and not have to worry about the bike. Good luck dude!! Be safe out there and trust your gut. Flip quarters to make hard decisions.

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Where is the road dog section? And also would you happen to know if train hopping alone with a big duffle bag and a backpack is safe? Also I'm into the punk scene so I happen to have a leather jacket full of studs and paint so Id think it'd get spotted really easy trying to hop the train. I know of an abandoned apartment building close by and a railroad track close by... should I hop that train? And I've been to Florida a couple times, it's ok just really hot. And another thing, would you recommend Oregon for like camping in the woods? My friend just recommended it so I may do it after I get to Louisville

SomeDumbFluff

Rambler
Website
www.furaffinity.net
There are also a multitude of rideshare groups on Facebook and people will either post " need ride from ____ to ___, one kid one pack one pup"
Or " ill be going from calico to new York anyone on highway ____ need a ride?"

Drifters and nomads rideshare
Travelers helping travelers

^ names of groups on facebook

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Cool thank you. Unfortunately my Facebook accounts got taken off, and every Facebook account I make asks for my ID and or picture.

Satanic Botanic

Rambler
Honestly, considering you're brand spanking new, I would just read the Matt's book first then come back with any questions. The world of travel is vast. His book is great for beginners.

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Satanic botanic, I am definitely going to get the book but in spare time I need to get going somewhere, it's not like I'm doing this for thrills or fun. I'm homeless, with very little money. Yes, I am trying to have fun but also survive. What I'm saying is, it's my like I have a home to go to to wait on me reading the book. I can read it during my time on the road. I do appreciate all advice though.

pallaway

Wayfarer
I'll come back to this. I'm getting kicked out my spot. Lemme go eat then I'll return and touch. You asked a bunch

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Definitely. I agree with you somedumbfluff. I think it's time to get out of my comfort zone and start living life to the fullest

pallaway

Wayfarer
Up north is really freezing. A good first destination would San Francisco. Go to haight st. If you wanna go west. It's a mecca for dirty kids and travellers. Don't ride the rails there if you don't know what to expect. It's a miracle I made it through north Platte. GPS slightly works on a phone with no device. You'll find people with experience there. If youalready hopped I would tell you to get to Chicago and leave from there to California, but you need to learn first. Go learn some and come back and I'll send you a useful piece of info when I see progress. Get to greyhound, fly a sign, work magic, buy ticket to San Francisco, go from there. I don't use it, but you'll meet cool people on greyhound sometimes. If you smoke buy all your cigarettes and tobacco beforehand, because it's super expensive in places. In SF bud is cheaper than tobacco. You'll also get dirty kid prices on that and be able to get enough to last a good while for really cheap=) talk to people and smile. It's one of the best parts of being nomadic. I'll pm you later dude

A

Ajax

I closed my account
Appreciate it man. I mean I'll see what's up but I perfer nature..my friend keeps recommending Oregon..is there any nature in San Francisco? I've never been. I keep hearing it's highly expensive though like food is super high. It's close to Berkeley isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $95.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $95.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.