Russia - Trainhopping and language school question (1 Viewer)

Tadaa

Wanderer
does anyone know where i can find some info online about trainhopping in Russia? or if someone has done it and wants to help me out that would be sweet..

i plan on travelling russia this summer so..

also. if somebody knows a good and cheap language school to learn russian that would be sweet.. most of the ones i found online are pretty expensive so..

or if you have any good links or info about travelling russia feel free to put it here.

thanks in advance

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Mihail Morea

Lurker
Having been to Russia several times and living in a country that borders it, I'll tell you this - Russian cops don't fuck around. The traffic cops and regular "militsiya" in the city might just squeeze you for a bribe or somesuch, but they're more corrupt than malicious. But if they catch an Amerikanyts train-hopping? That sounds bad to my ears. Jail time, beauty treatment by vicious security agents, etc. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but if you do train-hop - be careful where you roll into. There are whole cities in Russia that are closed off to foreigners of any kind. Finally, nationalistic skinheads and general thugs abound. So do be careful.

Finally, make sure you have everything in order with your visa, registration once you're inside the country, etc. Russia can be amazing and it can be terrible. Have a good trip!

Tadaa

Wanderer
i am from belgium.. is that better? ;)
two friends of mine hitchhed across Russia by themselves and never had problems with cops, army or other officials.. the opposite actually
and one of em did some crazy stuff there.. and went to a few places that he wasnt suposed to visit (they actually gave him a tour around some `secret` military base near Magadan cause he just ended up there by accident)
ok, i know trainhopping is something else than hitchhiking but i think this just says something about a place..
and yeah.. i wouldnt just hop on any train and see where i end up..
thats why i want to know if more people have done it before

they also said that the russian nationalst werent that bad.. but i think i will keep my mouth shut about being a gay `lefty` a bit more than i do now
i watched to many documentaries about it all.. i stopped doing that cause i got to `scared` for travelling around russia.. now i just wanne do it..

i am looking into visas at the moment and seeing where i can take a 2 or 3 week full time language course or maybe find a job in a hostel or so..
cause i do wanne get the know the language..

where are you from?

the more i dream and read about it the more i wanne go.. (its either this or go back to the usa and trainhop around for the summer)

Tadaa

Wanderer
anyone got info about trainhopping russia?

still thinking about going.. a year later then planned but when spring is going i am out again..
found a friend to join join so :)

p4r4d0x

Rambler
I have the rosetta stone too.. Im just too lazy to learn it.. >.<
Tell me about it, I have
30 languages
Spain and Latin American Spanish
Traditional and Simplified Mandarin
Hebrew to Tagalog to Swahili
All language levels
All audio companions
OSX and Windows Applications
0% accomplished

huze24

@ Tadaa: Google and YouTube are your best options on finding info if a forum search here turned up nothing.

The fact that you're European should help more than being American. Its all luck of the draw, you could hitch/trainhop Russia like your friends and be totally fine, or it could be a bad experience in many ways. Thing to remember with Russia is, the entire country is corrupt. All the politicians are old guard Soviet Communists who are on the take, because the Russian Mafia controls everything; the police, the government, business, etc...

As for learning languages - even w/ Rosetta Stone - that's easier said than done, as a few here have shown. I use the Google Translate APP on my phone. It has every language. You speak into your phone, and the APP translates into the language you specify, and then it spells out what you said on the screen in that language (so the person you're talking too can actually read it in their language), and then it also speaks it out loud in that language. I used it when I met some Russian hotties in NYC a year ago, and it did wonders. They also used the APP to speak English to me.

I don't have time to sit on the PC and learn an entire fucking language. Many people that use Rosetta Stone (military, executives, diplomats, etc), are actually getting paid by their employers to learn the foreign language in the first place. So it ain't as easy as the commercials make it look. Just learn the basic language - or enough to get you by - when you're in country.

Komjaunimas

Like Mihail i am originally from a neighbouring country, born in soviet union to be exact. I have the same advice, wouldnt want to fuck around being from western country without the language. Russians in general are very warm people, ready to go out a million miles out of their way to help ya, but officials on the other hand are not, everyone will want to get a bribe, because you;re supposed to have money, but its just in general. They have a saying, fluently translated it would mean "you cant understand russia with a conscious mind".

Tadaa

Wanderer
had an amazing time hitchhiking russia..great people.. but language barrier was too much sometimes..
hopped a few train wich was ok till my friend joined in and didnt wanne play hide and seek with security.. got pulled of twice by security and handed over to the cops.. best experience ever!! haha they gave us tea and biscuits and let us go after a while chatting with us cause they didnt know what to do with us

i will post more info soon cause i dont have much time.. (in mongolia now and heading to china in 2 weeks

save travels..

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$105.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $105.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.