Shanty Boat Living on the Hook in the Mississippi and Atchafalaya River Basin (1 Viewer)

Elvis

Lurker
I have little boating experience but I have been interested in it for years. I currently live in Minneapolis in Summer and Lafayette LA area in the winter. It would be cool to live on a motorized shanty that I could take between the two. I am curious about how that would work living on the hook, and pushing the boat ashore when stopping. Also curious about what you do if you want to stop and explore a city.

Another question, that I am far less serious about doing but still curious about is has anyone done the great loop in a shanty?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
Read any of the books by Harlan Hubbard: PayneHollow, Shantyboat on the Bayous, and Shantyboat Journal.

Then, check out Wes Modes site which you’ll find after reading this:

I think Wes lives only a few miles from me.

Rue

Rambler
Ahh. That would be cool, but youd be better off building a new shantee every year and floating down to Lafayette. It'd be a lot of money in fuel to bring anything up river. 1-5k at least

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.