Squatting in Victoria, BC, Canada, Vancouver Island (1 Viewer)

Griffagriff

Lurker
Hello there.
So I've just moved to Victoria on Vancouver island and am living in my car.
I've found a big old house in a beautiful neighbourhood that's been abandoned and boarded up and graffitied.

I've squatted in various places around the world but never in Canada.

What are the rules and regulations to cover myself and what's my best way of going about this please?

If this gets up and running I'd love to make it a proper squat l

Any advice would much appreciated

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

sd40chef

Vagabond
I'm not too sure about this to be honest, never really squatted abandoned buildings for more than a few nights. met some travelers that squatted for the winter in a home in st johns, newfoundland and had running water and electricity from what they told me. perhaps talk to some neighbours about the situation of the house? or just give it a shot...i cant see it being too serious if its boarded up and painted.

Griffagriff

Lurker
Thanks. But I've always done it properly and if I know the local laws, I can do it legally and in plain sight.
Go in, change the locks, contact the utilities and see if I can get them turned on and working.

Hylyx

Vagabond
I don't know the laws in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada) but I'm comin up there tomorrow and can totally help hold down the spot, for a few days...
If it's all ratty, usually neighbors take kindly to at least cleaning up the yard and clearing trash, etc. Water is usually as simple as turning a valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.