staying warm on the road? how to, tips and/or gear advice? (1 Viewer)

Crust Wagon

Newshit kid here. Its cold as Santa's ass out here. I live in Michigan for context, so yea it's pretty easy to get your ass frozen to the concrete while you're takin' a dump (don't ask.) Anybody got any advice on how to stay warm out here? Perhaps more advice than just "wear a coat, dipshit." I've got a lil bit of common sense. AAnyways, thanks for readin'.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

BikePunky

Wanderer
Website
instagram.com
Gear-wise, the cold got better for me when I got a nice 0 degree down sleeping bag. Learning to layer clothes and wearing less or no cotton is better in cold conditions. Travelers seem to like carhartt jackets, but I find them heavy. I layer shirts, wear a wind jacket, and then put a puffy down jacket over that. Helps to blend in more as well. Smart wool leggings or the off brand equivalent are good. Thick wool socks are warm as well as wick moisture from snow. Waterproof shoes or boots.

At the end of the day, wipe your skin off with a rag as the salts from sweating on your skin will make you colder. If you carry a stove, you can heat water to put in bottles and put them in the sleeping bag for extra heat. A tent helps block extra wind chill and possible moisture. Placing a tent behind or between structures to block wind is better. Getting as much off the ground as possible also helps, whether that is an inflatable travel bed and/or stacks of cardboard: anything helps.

This may or may not be helpful, but I've seen $1 pocket warmers at the dollar tree and other such stores, especially camping stores, which work wonders. It really only helps with extremities being cold, and they're temporary, but it is something to maybe keep in mind as an option too.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
tent helps block extra wind chill and possible moisture. Placing a tent behind or between structures to block wind is better. Getting as much off the ground as possible also helps, whether that is an inflatable travel bed and/or stacks of cardboard: anything helps.

i just wanted to 2nd this. when i was living on the streets of nyc for a few months i really started to appreciate spots that could block the wind. behind fences, in cubby holes behind buildings, anywhere i could keep the wind off me improved my ability to retain heat by quite a bit.

where are you in michigan? i know a few folks out there. it's gonna get a lot colder out there soon, i'd advise moving south if you can. let us know if you need any advice on that.

Crust Wagon

i just wanted to 2nd this. when i was living on the streets of nyc for a few months i really started to appreciate spots that could block the wind. behind fences, in cubby holes behind buildings, anywhere i could keep the wind off me improved my ability to retain heat by quite a bit.

where are you in michigan? i know a few folks out there. it's gonna get a lot colder out there soon, i'd advise moving south if you can. let us know if you need any advice on that.

Livin' near Ann Arbor in a town called Fenton. I'm housed rn, but making plans to hit the road as soon as my birthday rolls around. Just kinda frustrated with a controlling family and a generally unaccepting atmosphere. I've got a buddy of mine who might be able to lend a couch, and another friend who's passing thru to see me and potentially help me get the fuck outta this shithole.

BikePunky

Wanderer
Website
instagram.com
Yeah, learning to travel south and seasonally is really just the best way to do it. It's a hassle to be anywhere severely cold when you could be in the desert. Be careful and have backup plans, as sometimes the first person isn't a great teacher or influence when first living on the road.

I just remembered some other tips. I survived a really cold week hiking by wrapping an emergency blanket around a sleeping bag. If you are surviving the winter in one place and can leave stuff set up, you can collect blankets, jackets, etc for extra warmth at night. Some folks put blankets over the tent for extra padding until morning.

MFB

Wise Sage
Outside of gear I always like booze, specifically whiskey, when the wind cut colds.
I understand booze is proven to lower core body temp, but it works for me!

Crust Wagon

Outside of gear I always like booze, specifically whiskey, when the wind cut colds.
I understand booze is proven to lower core body temp, but it works for me!
aw yea, someone told me they would heat up whiskey and drink it. that'll definitely do it.

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
Newspaper is a fantastic insulator. It's lightweight and it's free. If you need a few degrees extra protection, line your coat, pants, shoes, sleep bag, anything at all with a few pages. You'll feel like a jackass the first time you do it, but you'll stop feeling like a jackass when you see how well it works.

Johny

Wanderer
I made it through 2 winters in montana and one in Colorado with the classics , carhartt bibs , jeans and long johns a hoodie (some times with a carhartt vest ) and a oil skin duster beanie and gloves , decent boots are also a must and dry socks.

Tekamthi

eat lots of cheap, at least marginally nutritious food... force yourself to eat when its cold even if you're not really hungry, or accustomed to eating less to save $$ or whatever... if you're smart you can get a 500+ calories in you for less than a dollar. Once you're fed, move around at night when its cold, and sleep during the day when its warmer out, if you can. Don't let yourself sweat ever, no matter what

BikePunky

Wanderer
Website
instagram.com
Having just traveled over some cold mountains, I'm reminded you should put battery packs and cellphone in your sleeping bag at night. Otherwise, the cold will deplete the power to zero overnight. Such can put you in a dangerous situation in the wrong circumstances.

Johny

Wanderer
I also have a MSR pocket rocket stove to heat water and put it in metal water bottles.
Through that in your sleeping bag and it keeps your water from freezing and you warm also.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.