Texas Trainhopping in Waco, I’m 15 and need tips. (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

MFB

Wise Sage
....I can see this ending with @Juan Derlust in the untrustworthy and shady people section...

1587129652049.png

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Erm not completely sure a mix of being bored of living in a small town and just looking for adventure I guess. Sadly I don’t know anyone else who does this stuff near me.

I live like 2 hours away from you. Let me know if you ever come through Austin.

croc

Wise Sage
@Tadeo "I waited for an hour for another train"..... Yeah bud, ur gonna have to get used to waiting like... Days if u really wanna ride trains regularly. That's just part of it.

But yeah. Ur story was kinda painful and terrifying to read. I'm glad u watched the trains a lot before u got on one but here's the thing. If u care about getting to school in the morning or about seeing ur parents again, then u must care about getting home. Aka living. Riding suicide and caring about living til the next day don't go hand in hand.

Having to wait for the next train is better than killing yourself, ruining ur parents loves (bc that's what happens to parents whose kids die), fucking up ur friends mentally (bc that's what happens to ppl when their friends die), and fucking shit up for other riders. The last thing we wanna hear is "yo, shit is blown up/hot in Waco bc some kid was riding suicide and fell thru and died". We may not know u but we care about ur life for ur sake, ur loved ones, and ours.

It's easy to feel invincible when ur a teenager. That's why my buddy, Austin, died at 15 when he left his house on a dirt bike w no lights and no helmet at 3 am to ride around town n got hit by a car who couldn't see him. It was an open casket funeral that should not have been an open casket funeral. The back of his head had to be pieced back together and they put his favorite hat over his head so it looked more normal. Dead people in open caskets already look all caked with make up but his must have been like 2 full inches of make up. It looked like fucking fondant. His parents lives were destroyed. I, and plenty of others, lost a good friend. Bc he thought nothing bad would happen.

By all means dude, ride trains, live ur life. But keyword "live". There is ALWAYS another train coming.

croc

Wise Sage
Risk of death and arrest is why train hopping is so exciting. Don't listen to the STP parents telling you to put your helmet on, make your own judgments, take your own risks, and be your own man. There are no rules to the road, just guidelines.

Some of us ride bc riding is fun, free, freeing, and trains are bomb. It's not all daredevil "I might die or get arrested" shit

Tadeo

Wayfarer
I know man I’ve heard the warning from many riders not to ride suicide and I won’t anymore. Cause I did almost fall off when slack action hit the back cart, definitely wasn’t fun holding on to the ladder and my other hand on a bar while my legs dangled around the wheel as I tried to get my grip. I know there’s always another train and I know this is messed up but I wasn’t going to miss that one. I won’t do it again but I just knew I wasn’t. Thanks for the warning though!

Tadeo

Wayfarer
I know man I’ve heard the warning from many riders not to ride suicide and I won’t anymore. Cause I did almost fall off when slack action hit the back cart, definitely wasn’t fun holding on to the ladder and my other hand on a bar while my legs dangled around the wheel as I tried to get my grip. I know there’s always another train and I know this is messed up but I wasn’t going to miss that one. I won’t do it again but I just knew I wasn’t. Thanks for the warning though!
This wasn’t meant to be a thread starter it was just meant to go to croc oops.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Some of us ride bc riding is fun, free, freeing, and trains are bomb. It's not all daredevil "I might die or get arrested" shit

I agree! But that feeling of "fun and freedom" is because were taking calculated risks with our lives and breaking the law, we are protesting dominate class ideologies through are actions, i.e surreptitiously stealing rides from freight carriers.

Have you personally known ANYONE who has died riding suicide or ANY spots that were supposedly "blown up"- this isn't even a thing, this is bum drama. Not that many people die riding trains, the statistics are very skewed, it's only recently that the FRA has divided train hopping specific deaths into it's own category-thrill seeking.

CouchPunx

Wanderer
you personally known ANYONE who has died riding suicide or ANY spots that were supposedly "blown up"- this isn't even a thing, this is bum drama. Not that many people die riding trains, the statistics are very skewed, it's only recently that the FRA has divided train hopping specific deaths into it's own category-thrill seeking.

Are you serious? How many kids have you met missing limbs? Maybe youve been out for a while or something but people die riding suicide or riding on the fly. Ive seen close calls and know people who have died

CouchPunx

Wanderer
Clicked post too early.
Also wanted to say that every time im in a blown up yard with unfriendly cop-calling workers I later find out theres been some dumbass kids rolling through there recently.
Shit even in mexico the local yard security would pull people off trains just because they were sick of dealing with dead bodies.
Same goes for locked units, for workers who call the cops on you vs workers that let you ride. They get soured on us when they meet the wrong ones or see something they woulda rather not seen.
I'm sure many here have had an interaction like that otherwise we'd be a lot more brazen.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Okay so I’ve got a question after talking to many people who have been doing this for years why do more people not write books about their stories or make YouTube channels? Is it because everyone wants to keep this life under wraps and away from authorities. Just wondering cause me personally enjoy reading a lot and if I saw stories about this type stuff I’d instantly buy whatever book and start reading it! Also why do so many people think the CCG is so important. I’ve read over 100 pages of one so far and it’s definitely helpful but people act like it’s a requirement to this life when really it’s just a helping hand in the journey.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Okay so I’ve got a question after talking to many people who have been doing this for years why do more people not write books about their stories or make YouTube channels? Is it because everyone wants to keep this life under wraps and away from authorities. Just wondering cause me personally enjoy reading a lot and if I saw stories about this type stuff I’d instantly buy whatever book and start reading it! Also why do so many people think the CCG is so important. I’ve read over 100 pages of one so far and it’s definitely helpful but people act like it’s a requirement to this life when really it’s just a helping hand in the journey.

See kid, you smart. You don't need a crew change guide.

croc

Wise Sage

My shortest answer would be that most of us are lazy lol. But personally, I like doing write ups on here, maybe I'll write a zine about some stories or train riding in general one day, but a youtube is like. Really putting urself out there.

It's def possible to ride without using the cc but it helps with giving u ideas of how to get into yards and a listing of all the yds in a place and locations of said yards. At this point with how quickly things are changing, it's much more of a basic outline of things than a manual. I know folks who don't use them at all but they earned the fuck out of the knowledge they have because they could spend a week in a yard just trynna figure it out before they get it.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Are you serious? How many kids have you met missing limbs? Maybe youve been out for a while or something but people die riding suicide or riding on the fly. Ive seen close calls and know people who have died

I understand. But who do you know who has died riding suicide (riding on the 53' x-beams) and what spots are blown up? I can rant on about war stories and death and who's who, that's not my point. Who do you know who has died riding suicide?

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.