Texas Trainhopping in Waco, I’m 15 and need tips. (1 Viewer)

croc

Wise Sage
I agree! But that feeling of "fun and freedom" is because were taking calculated risks with our lives and breaking the law, we are protesting dominate class ideologies through are actions, i.e surreptitiously stealing rides from freight carriers.

Have you personally known ANYONE who has died riding suicide or ANY spots that were supposedly "blown up"- this isn't even a thing, this is bum drama. Not that many people die riding trains, the statistics are very skewed, it's only recently that the FRA has divided train hopping specific deaths into it's own category-thrill seeking.
My buddy's partner would've died for fucking sure when she fell thru riding suicide if he and my partner didn't pull her up. Instead she just had FUCKED up feet and had to have emergency surgery on them.

Thankfully, I don't hang around many folks who ride suicide so no I don't know any who've died from it personally but I know my friends who've been out here for a while have. Surely u understand that it's called riding suicide for a reason.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Remember, we've come along way from "riding the rods!" Bums used to actually ride on brake rods and undercarriage rigging...

Jack_ondon_on_the_rods.jpg

Tadeo

Wayfarer
See kid, you smart. You don't need a crew change guide.
Thanks supportive dad haha. Also I just spent a good 45 minutes looking through all your photographs what got you started man and how are you not well known or maybe you are and I don’t know but anyway every single one of your photos was really captivating and offered a look into the life.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
My shortest answer would be that most of us are lazy lol. But personally, I like doing write ups on here, maybe I'll write a zine about some stories or train riding in general one day, but a youtube is like. Really putting urself out there.

It's def possible to ride without using the cc but it helps with giving u ideas of how to get into yards and a listing of all the yds in a place and locations of said yards. At this point with how quickly things are changing, it's much more of a basic outline of things than a manual. I know folks who don't use them at all but they earned the fuck out of the knowledge they have because they could spend a week in a yard just trynna figure it out before they get it.
But are people against writing stories on this stuff because I know I’ve seen people be very uptight about sharing parts of this life because it’s special to them and they don’t want just anyone spreading it to people who just do it for the trend of it I guess.

CouchPunx

Wanderer
I understand. But who do you know who has died riding suicide (riding on the 53' x-beams) and what spots are blown up? I can rant on about war stories and death and who's who, that's not my point. Who do you know who has died riding suicide?

Are you asking for a list of blown-up yards in the united states?

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
But are people against writing stories on this stuff because I know I’ve seen people be very uptight about sharing parts of this life because it’s special to them and they don’t want just anyone spreading it to people who just do it for the trend of it I guess.

People have been writing on the lifestyle since the 1800's, look up Josiah Flynt "Tramping with Tramps." I bought an original copy on ebay.

I don't know what to say, just be yourself, don't believe the hype, life is all just one big trend.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Thanks supportive dad haha. Also I just spent a good 45 minutes looking through all your photographs what got you started man and how are you not well known or maybe you are and I don’t know but anyway every single one of your photos was really captivating and offered a look into the life.

Cool! I am pretty well know in an un-romantic not an actual celebrity type of way. I even almost went on the David Letterman show! I'm still trying to figure out how all this started myself, but wikipedias got a decent take on the subject...

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Cool! I am pretty well know in an un-romantic not an actual celebrity type of way. I even almost went on the David Letterman show! I'm still trying to figure out how all this started myself, but wikipedias got a decent take on the subject...
Okay I’ll take a look! Also I saw stuff on what happened to Tim Bradly on some old forums and people who knew him and how terrible everything that happened with him was. Does that type of violence happen often or only sometimes. I know it’s a touchy subject I was just wondering.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Okay I’ll take a look! Also I saw stuff on what happened to Tim Bradly on some old forums and people who knew him and how terrible everything that happened with him was. Does that type of violence happen often or only sometimes. I know it’s a touchy subject I was just wondering.

Yes that happened at the old squated apartment complex in West Philly called "Paradise City" it's since been renovated. That type of violence barely ever happens, more prevalent among the drinking/drugging crowd who fall into toxic cycles of lifestyle addictions and violence. I can site several other examples, including a person who I'm in correspondence with who got a life sentence for murder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Yes that happened at the old squated apartment complex in West Philly called "Paradise City" it's since been renovated. That type of violence barely ever happens, more prevalent among the drinking/drugging crowd who fall into toxic cycles of lifestyle addictions and violence. I can site several others examples, including a person who I'm in correspondence with who got a life sentence for murder.
Well that’s alright for me I guess cause obviously I’m 15 and probably wouldn’t be around that I’d be fine with it as long as the people aren’t violent cause I ain’t trying to die just yet. Also earlier I was talking to somebody and they asked if I was doing alright money wise cause a lot of people thought I was running away. So I told them the truth that my family is well off or at least my dad is (my parents are divorced) and that I don’t do this stuff because I’m forced to and that I do it because I love adventures and the excitement and my family is stressful at times and this is a nice break for me, and the guy told me that people will hold it against you if you have money is that true? I’m not the type of person to bring up money anyway cause I don’t give a shit what you have we all in the same boat. But will people care or not. Also I don’t know if I said this but I’ve been riding more than once that was just my first time and the longest ride. I usually hop on a train for a few hours just around my town and then hop off before I get too far from home and that’s where I’ve met people on the tracks and all them were pretty normal and would talk with me and none of them held it against me once they heard I had a stable life but then again I got close with all them so they didn’t have a reason to hold it against me. Just wondering.

superphoenix

Wanderer
Sounds like a learning experience.

I realllly don't recommend this stuff for anyone under 18, but I was out trespassing and walking subway tracks then so I'm not gonna be a hypocrite. But I did take calculated risks - I looked for hiding niches, checked train schedules, and made absolutely sure no one saw me. And I didn't hop out on my own til I was 23 and knew a lot about the lore, history, schedules, tips, and this was after years of personal observation, reading, and talking to people.

It sounds like you took way more risks and I don't know how well-calculated they were since you didn't have a plan for getting back and got the cops called on you, and didn't know basics like keeping the boxcar open.

Don't die.

More than that, actively take steps to prevent yourself from dying.

If I could offer one universal truth I've picked up after about a decade of fucking around on train tracks (not just to you but anyone generally), it's this:

Trains can do anything at any time for no reason at all.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Sounds like a learning experience.

I realllly don't recommend this stuff for anyone under 18, but I was out trespassing and walking subway tracks then so I'm not gonna be a hypocrite. But I did take calculated risks - I looked for hiding niches, checked train schedules, and made absolutely sure no one saw me. And I didn't hop out on my own til I was 23 and knew a lot about the lore, history, schedules, tips, and this was after years of personal observation, reading, and talking to people.

It sounds like you took way more risks and I don't know how well-calculated they were since you didn't have a plan for getting back and got the cops called on you, and didn't know basics like keeping the boxcar open.

Don't die.

More than that, actively take steps to prevent yourself from dying.

If I could offer one universal truth I've picked up after about a decade of fucking around on train tracks (not just to you but anyone generally), it's this:

Trains can do anything at any time for no reason at all.
I mean you’re right I planned and watched for a month ahead but other than that I didn’t really know some of the obvious stuff. I probably should’ve learned about slack action and spiking the doors before I did this stuff but ya know I do now. Only reason cops were called on me is that walking on the highway really early in the morning especially being a teenager your bound to get the cops called on you.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
the guy told me that people will hold it against you if you have money is that true? I’m not the type of person to bring up money anyway cause I don’t give a shit what you have we all in the same boat. But will people care or not. Also I don’t know if I said this but I’ve been riding more than once that was just my first time and the longest ride. I usually hop on a train for a few hours just around my town and then hop off before I get too far from home and that’s where I’ve met people on the tracks and all them were pretty normal and would talk with me and none of them held it against me once they heard I had a stable life but then again I got close with all them so they didn’t have a reason to hold it against me. Just wondering.

I'm a proponent for being honest but don't put yourself out there too much, downplay things like your family being well-off. It's easy for you to say "i dont care about money because fuck it we're all in the same boat" from your position in life right now, but I reckon it's likely you'll find it isn't so simple eventually. You'll meet cool people like the ones you met but unfortunately not everyone is like that, doesn't matter whether you're riding trains or not, in Guatemala or Canada or in the hood or what. People are prone to envy and jealousy and many people will fuck you shamelessly

i don't know if you like rap or not, maybe judt look up the lyrics to Notorious B.I.G's 10 Crack Commandments , there's some sage wisdom in that track

Tons of people write about the life. Most just aren't very good writers and amongst the few that are ever fewer are actually functional enough to get a book published. In general I've always taken "never be seen" to include things like talking to the press and what not and have seen first hand how even well intentioned media can have negative repercussions for homeless people. It tends to be temporary but this whole "places don't get blown up" attitude is not based in reality.

At the end of the day though do whatever you want. Your story made me cringe a bit but I'd be lying if I said I didn't do at least half those things myself when I was green.

As far as money goes... Doesn't matter if it's $20 or $2000. If you let people know you have it they will never stop trying to bum smokes and booze off you.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
I'm a proponent for being honest but don't put yourself out there too much, downplay things like your family being well-off. It's easy for you to say "i dont care about money because fuck it we're all in the same boat" from your position in life right now, but I reckon it's likely you'll find it isn't so simple eventually. You'll meet cool people like the ones you met but unfortunately not everyone is like that, doesn't matter whether you're riding trains or not, in Guatemala or Canada or in the hood or what. People are prone to envy and jealousy and many people will fuck you shamelessly

i don't know if you like rap or not, maybe judt look up the lyrics to Notorious B.I.G's 10 Crack Commandments , there's some sage wisdom in that track
Okay I’ll look it up but and I almost never bring that stuff up anyways but it’s not like I don’t know what it’s like with my dad I live very nice and with my mom we live in a bad neighborhood surrounded by even worse neighborhoods where shootings happen so it’s not like I haven’t experienced it all of that makes sense.

NewMexicoJim

High mileage, good condition, needs TLC.
StP Supporter
There are certain people who are adrenaline junkies and daredevils from a young age. If they survive the more-balls-than-brains (teenage) years, they can go on to become one of those guys that straps on a wing suit and jumps off mountains, or free climbs Yosimite's Half-Dome or becomes an Olympic champion or astronaut or hobo legend. The smart ones make it, the rest are dead or maimed.

Temper your passion with discipline, patience & knowledge and you might have an amazing life. Good luck.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
Okay I’ll look it up but and I almost never bring that stuff up anyways but it’s not like I don’t know what it’s like with my dad I live very nice and with my mom we live in a bad neighborhood surrounded by even worse neighborhoods where shootings happen so it’s not like I haven’t experienced it all of that makes sense.

here's the thing bro, I relate somewhat, i grew up not super well off and was exposed to a lot of shit but was still leaps and bounds more comfortable than many people around me, so like you i can see both sides of it and even more importantly *appreciate* the nuances and complexities of an individual's experience (on my good days, at least)

in spite of that - unfortunately - there are A LOT of bonafide dumbasses out there who will always know better than you, and there is no convincing them. think throwing pearls to swine - the pearls are wasted because the swine just eat them, then turn around and attack you - because that's all they know, or in other words the best they can do. I think Timothy Leary called it "second circuit thinking"

I'm not the most paranoid or closed off, i've met a lot of good people too - but there's something to be said about some people with a major chip on their shoulder and zero sense of sharing experience, or giving a fuck about you beyond what you can provide them, via your consent or not. as Beegood Santana there put it - it doesn't matter if it's 20 bucks or 2000 bucks, someone will bum off you relentlessly - now convert those dollar values into life experience and perspective - even if you've only got ten bucks and you know what it's worth, you'll find a shitload of people with maybe three pennies

Tadeo

Wayfarer
There are certain people who are adrenaline junkies and daredevils from a young age. If they survive the more-balls-than-brains (teenage) years, they can go on to become one of those guys that straps on a wing suit and jumps off mountains, or free climbs Yosimite's Half-Dome or becomes an Olympic champion or astronaut or hobo legend. The smart ones make it, the rest are dead or maimed.

Temper your passion with discipline, patience & knowledge and you might have an amazing life. Good luck.
Thanks man I mean I really should post some of my more risky videos on here or YouTube I’m almost sure some would blow up but not sure if I want my parents finding out about some of this stuff until I’m 18. Because before I got interested in train hopping I loved climbing as high as possible so I climbed cranes whenever they were in my town or cell towers but the highest thing I ever climbed was a cell tower which was 1300 feet off the ground and I also have drone footage of me doing it. Not sure if I’d still do that stuff because it’s more risky than train hopping in my opinion because often times there is no ladder after a certain point and if you want to keep going you’re climbing up beams but in the end I got some crazy shots with my drone and one of the best experiences it feels like you’re in heaven or flying when you’re that high off the ground climbing freely above the clouds. Wouldn’t recommend it definitely freaked out a couple times as I was climbing and realized how high I was. But daredevil shit idk man 😂 maybe someday I still haven’t got the chance to go sky diving yet but hopefully soon.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
here's the thing bro, I relate somewhat, i grew up not super well off and was exposed to a lot of shit but was still leaps and bounds more comfortable than many people around me, so like you i can see both sides of it and even more importantly *appreciate* the nuances and complexities of an individual's experience (on my good days, at least)

in spite of that - unfortunately - there are A LOT of bonafide dumbasses out there who will always know better than you, and there is no convincing them. think throwing pearls to swine - the pearls are wasted because the swine just eat them, then turn around and attack you - because that's all they know, or in other words the best they can do. I think Timothy Leary called it "second circuit thinking"

I'm not the most paranoid or closed off, i've met a lot of good people too - but there's something to be said about some people with a major chip on their shoulder and zero sense of sharing experience, or giving a fuck about you beyond what you can provide them, via your consent or not. as Beegood Santana there put it - it doesn't matter if it's 20 bucks or 2000 bucks, someone will bum off you relentlessly - now convert those dollar values into life experience and perspective - even if you've only got ten bucks and you know what it's worth, you'll find a shitload of people with maybe three pennies
Yeah there will always be those people which I’m not the most concerned with because I wouldn’t plan on traveling with them long term anyway but I get where you’re coming from. I kind of met a guy like that one time when I was doing a Muriel not in the tracks just under a bridge. I’m assuming the guy lived there and this was definitely not a good part of town and he asked me why I was there and I told him I was just painting a wall and he looked at all my paint cans and I guess realized they were expensive or something and he started like raging on me about it. He ended up sitting down while I was painting and we’d get away from the subject and start talking about myself cause he didn’t like sharing stuff about himself. But always it would lead back to me and having money and not knowing it’s worth. Eventually I gave him one of my tortas after he’d we’d been talking for an hour or so also a torta is a Mexican sandwich in frenchbread with burrito ingredients anyway after I gave him that he stopped ragging on me about having money haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.