Texas Trainhopping in Waco, I’m 15 and need tips. (1 Viewer)

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Skydiving is a blast at ~3000'

When the people on the ground are as big as ants, PULL - but when the ants on the ground are as big as people, pray...
Haha yeah hopefully I don’t make that mistake. If I ever do learn to skydive I’m trying to do some GTA shit off a tower 😂.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Tadeo

Wayfarer
I was wondering about this since I live in Texas and if I ever do make the mistake of going to Mexico by accident does border patrol or does anyone check trains going in and out of the country?

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Skydiving is a blast at ~3000'

When the people on the ground are as big as ants, PULL - but when the ants on the ground are as big as people, pray...

Went skydiving for a friends 30 bday in Lodi, CA. That was crazy, they went really high, like 6,000' or something.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Went skydiving for a friends 30 bday in Lodi, CA. That was crazy, they went really high, like 6,000' or something.
I’m hoping I get the chance soon my stepdad asked if I wanted to go a while back he’s in the military so he had many chances for me to go at the time I was scared of heights so I was like fuck no. But hopefully he still can give me a shot at it!

Tadeo

Wayfarer
I wonder if I could contact a former worker who joined the border patrol & find out. If nobody responds, I imagine this information is available if you can frame your search terms appropriately. My guess is trains are scrutinized at the border only because it'd be an easy conduit for criminal activity otherwise
Yeah I’ll take my time looking it up and find out. I mean I would assume they check that stuff well cause if I wanted to get into another country that’s exactly how I’d do it.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Tons of people write about the life. Most just aren't very good writers and amongst the few that are ever fewer are actually functional enough to get a book published. In general I've always taken "never be seen" to include things like talking to the press and what not and have seen first hand how even well intentioned media can have negative repercussions for homeless people. It tends to be temporary but this whole "places don't get blown up" attitude is not based in reality.

At the end of the day though do whatever you want. Your story made me cringe a bit but I'd be lying if I said I didn't do at least half those things myself when I was green.

As far as money goes... Doesn't matter if it's $20 or $2000. If you let people know you have it they will never stop trying to bum smokes and booze off you.
Yeah I’m probably going to delete the post about money anyways I was just wondering and I don’t really want people knowing that’s even on here. By now I’ve rode a few times and definitely learned a lot spiking doors what not to do how to find cars destinations also the maps that overlay on google maps for main trail lines have helped a lot.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
@Tadeo I meant to say altitude is just an abstraction above 3000' no matter how fast you're dropping

it gets critical at around 700'
& even descending from a parachute is a hole-clincher when you're 100' up

@Brodiesel710 - this kid's golden! PLEASE don't start rapping & fuck it up...

SO who's takin @Tadeo to the baseball game? You or me? We could all go together.

MFB

Wise Sage
SO who's takin @Tadeo to the baseball game? You or me? We could all go together.
I'm in! It could be like a reboot of the populars 80s TV show My Two Dad only crusty style.
Like, the episode where we teach him about drugs, we teach him how TO DO drugs instead of the evils of drugs.
"now if you julienne some mint to put in your bong water it provides a nice refreshing hit"
And so on.

roughdraft

RápidoCorrenLosCarrosRespletoLosRielesDFerrocarril
Yeah there will always be those people which I’m not the most concerned with because I wouldn’t plan on traveling with them long term anyway but I get where you’re coming from. I kind of met a guy like that one time when I was doing a Muriel not in the tracks just under a bridge. I’m assuming the guy lived there and this was definitely not a good part of town and he asked me why I was there and I told him I was just painting a wall and he looked at all my paint cans and I guess realized they were expensive or something and he started like raging on me about it. He ended up sitting down while I was painting and we’d get away from the subject and start talking about myself cause he didn’t like sharing stuff about himself. But always it would lead back to me and having money and not knowing it’s worth. Eventually I gave him one of my tortas after he’d we’d been talking for an hour or so also a torta is a Mexican sandwich in frenchbread with burrito ingredients anyway after I gave him that he stopped ragging on me about having money haha.

painting a 'mural' you mean?

and it sounds fuckin delicious, i had something similar called 'torta' down in the middle of Brasil, basically layers of salami and cheese lightly cooked into a similar style bread, it all just melted together, so fuckin good - nothing i'd ever had compares, it was better than the best pizzas i've had aside from one i made myself

Anyway, that's kind of the idea, your story is pretty well-put - he doesn't know what you had to do for the paintcans, but he's needy, so he's gonna poke and prod see if he can't get something out of you. in this case it sounded pretty good, you shared what you could, he appreciated it, sounds like not such a bad time - but you know not everyone is that chill and sane especially if they're needy

Tadeo

Wayfarer
painting a 'mural' you mean?

and it sounds fuckin delicious, i had something similar called 'torta' down in the middle of Brasil, basically layers of salami and cheese lightly cooked into a similar style bread, it all just melted together, so fuckin good - nothing i'd ever had compares, it was better than the best pizzas i've had aside from one i made myself

Anyway, that's kind of the idea, your story is pretty well-put - he doesn't know what you had to do for the paintcans, but he's needy, so he's gonna poke and prod see if he can't get something out of you. in this case it sounded pretty good, you shared what you could, he appreciated it, sounds like not such a bad time - but you know not everyone is that chill and sane especially if they're needy
Yeah man I know I wouldn’t tell him if the dude wasn’t old and if I knew I couldn’t take him and he left his pack a bit away so if he had a gun he’d have to get to the pack first. But anyway most of the homeless in my town are pretty friendly and docile and I know a lot of them by now so I wasn’t super worried about an old man just wanting some food. If it was anyone but him I would’ve told them I hit a lick on someone for my paints and stuff I usually don’t put myself out there unless they seem sane and semi trustable to an extent.

Tadeo

Wayfarer
I was wondering if any of you guys out there use a handheld radio scanner I was looking at them and they looked like they could be very useful for finding out if you’ve been spotted or what’s going on with the crew.

MFB

Wise Sage
Why is that cause all my dumb mistakes? 😂😂

@Tadeo , I cant speak for @coltsfoot but;

It's a good thread to read for a lot of reasons, and a lot of STPers have put some good ideas in here. ( Shout out to @roughdraft mentioning Ten Crack commandment :) ) and it's been a funny thread to read through

In regards to you and your dumb mistakes;
it's extremely refreshing to see a youngin' actually out doing it rather than a lot of newbie threads on here that are "i wanna travel and have a toothbrush and a pack? what do I need and where should I go?" You embody that lust for adventure that got a lot of us started travelling, and you seem very genuine in it! Which is rare here. It's cool to see.

You've asked thoughtful and specific questions
You've been humble when advice has been given, but had balls to stand your ground about why and what you've done in a respectful way.
You've been honest about who you are w no shame attached. ("Im well off, but I dont give a shit"). (I also really like that you gave some guy your sandwich!)
And you've been able to joke with us, make fun of yourself, and in general go with the flow, which is important in travel and life.

To me; that's all impressive stuff for a 15 yo and all these thing should be noted.;)

Last edited:

Tadeo

Wayfarer
@Tadeo , I cant speak for @coltsfoot but;

It's a good thread to read for a lot of reasons, and a lot of STPers have put some good ideas in here. ( Shout out to @roughdraft mentioning Ten Crack commandment :) ) and it's been a funny thread to read through

In regards to you and your dumb mistakes;
it's extremely refreshing to see a youngin' actually out doing it rather than a lot of newbie threads on here that are "i wanna travel and have a toothbrush and a pack? what do I need and where should I go?" You embody that lust for adventure that got a lot of us started travelling, and you seem very genuine in it! Which is rare here. It's cool to see.

You've asked thoughtful and specific questions
You've been humble when advice has been given, but had balls to stand your ground about why and what you've done in a respectful way.
You've been honest about who you are w no shame attached. ("Im well off, but I dont give a shit"). (I also really like that you gave some guy your sandwich!)
And you've been able to joke with us, make fun of yourself, and in general go with the flow, which is important in travel and life.

To me; that's all impressive stuff for a 15 yo and all these thing should be noted.;)
Thanks for all that man I just hope I can keep doing this without getting caught. It was definitely a tight schedule when I went to Fort Worth and it wasn’t really planned so I got hella lucky. I’m trying to find out if there’s a yard near my town because I’m not trying to get stuck on a train for hours.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
I was wondering if any of you guys out there use a handheld radio scanner I was looking at them and they looked like they could be very useful for finding out if you’ve been spotted or what’s going on with the crew.

Scanners have never helped me, it's just one more thing to carry. But some riders live by them, they're pretty small and affordable now I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.