The Diggers (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Never heard of it - looks pretty interesting though. I'll have to admit when I first looked at this I thought - well huh - he posted a link to that hugely prolific reality show family -- 'sup with that?? --- hehe ahhh not so they are the duggers. Thanks for the link - the pics in there are pretty cool too.

Guy Chouinard

Pilgrim
I bet, maybe you could share one of their stories with us?

The Diggers announced the death of the hippie in '67 and held a mock funeral for it. After that, all the wannabes' started pouring into the Haight and things went down hill from there. But the Diggers had some great ideas like the free store and sharing food etc. They were true Anarchists.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Thank you for sharing this.

I just recently visited that neighborhood for the first time. I was pretty unimpressed with the current state of the place, but well aware of the history. Particularly, the real anarchists who paved the way for future generations.

When I was younger, I was fascinated by the 60's counterculture. The drugs, the music, and the resistance to the norm inspired me in my teens. But it wasn't until I learned of the Diggers and Yippies that I truly began to figure out my place in the world.

I continue to live as if every choice I make is a political action. Every Federal Reserve note I trade, and every one I choose not to. The births and education of my kids. How I choose to eat, travel, earn money, barter, make friends, fuck, or help others.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.