Train Hopping from California (2 Viewers)

Sven Huby

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sure you probably get questions like this a lot but I'm looking to learn to rail system and want to try train hopping from California to Utah or Colorado...where do I go about learning about this? Is this something you need to learn from someone in person? If so anyone in California planning on freight hopping across the country wanna take me under their wing haha? I have experience roughing it outdoors, but always by vehicle...

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
B

Bumrumors

I deleted myself
Check the library for the bnsf and up rail systems in california. There are maps and timelines for crew changes,sidings etc. Dont be a fool is the only advice one can give.

If I were you I would find a hop out and hang out there long enough to find some train kids. Learn it from people who know what they're doing. But watch out, train kids can be dicks and tell some lies or tall tails to fuck with greenhorns. Just so you know there's no such thing as a triple stack, there are no heat sensors in El Paso (or anywhere for that matter), trains do not go into military bases, and trains don't stop if you try to flag them down. (Also there is no trash barge that goes to Hawaii)

N

Notmyname

I deleted myself
Yeah everyone knows it's the pineapple Express underground hotshot that goes to Hawaii. Gotta catch it on the fly though so most green beans don't know about it

Zigali

Pilgrim
There is a lot of resources out there including videos and forums do your research talk to LEGIT peeps at a hop out near u like dude said and use common sense eh don't need another kid gettin chopped to pieces cause he didn't know what he was doing it makes it worse on everyone and also trust absolutely no one always keep an eye behind u even if u think they're cool ur liable to get the shit beat out of u and ur gear stolen I could go on all day with shit but main things are do ur research know what ur really getting into (not the romantic idea possibly in ur head that it's all glitter and sparkles) and use common sense be smart not stupid... if ur gonna do it either do it right or stick to driving it's safer

OP
S

Sven Huby

Thank you....I think I found a spot to check out....in Riverside or maybe Colton...but Colton looks too crazy. I am not down to get fkn caught.