Video Your Life is Your Life. Know it while you have it. (1 Viewer)

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
I've been brainstorming this video for about 3 months and haven't pulled the trigger on it until today. This video welcomes viewers to my YouTube channel and really encapsulates what my videos are all about.

Give it a watch and let me know what you think ! Thank you all for being such an inspiration to me.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
it's definitely a high quality video, and very well edited.

this isn't your fault, maybe it's mine, but i'm getting awfully burnt out on all these 'inspirational' videos for beginners. i understand why they exist, and it's great that they do, but i've been doing this off an on for 15 years, so I wish there was more content geared towards those of us that aren't new to travel.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
it's definitely a high quality video, and very well edited.

this isn't your fault, maybe it's mine, but i'm getting awfully burnt out on all these 'inspirational' videos for beginners. i understand why they exist, and it's great that they do, but i've been doing this off an on for 15 years, so I wish there was more content geared towards those of us that aren't new to travel.
I'm totally with you man, I share the same feeling toward videos of this nature. It wasn't my intention to aim this at beginners, because I do think the message applies to anyone, even veteran travelers.

I struggle with this same issue because I do want to create better and more valuable content that helps people, and not just inspires them. I think the issue may be, what the hell can you teach a veteran traveler of 15 years that they haven't heard before or have learned themselves?

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I'm totally with you man, I share the same feeling toward videos of this nature. It wasn't my intention to aim this at beginners, because I do think the message applies to anyone, even veteran travelers.

I struggle with this same issue because I do want to create better and more valuable content that helps people, and not just inspires them. I think the issue may be, what the hell can you teach a veteran traveler of 15 years that they haven't heard before or have learned themselves?
that's a good point, but i think it's as simple as just sticking to what you know and teaching others about that. for example, i found your video about chang mai (and the apartment there) totally interesting and useful. as much as i'd heard about chang mai, i'd never seen a video of someone just walking around in a neighborhood there. as bland as that sounds, i found it helpful to see that in a lot of ways it's just like many other cities.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
that's a good point, but i think it's as simple as just sticking to what you know and teaching others about that. for example, i found your video about chang mai (and the apartment there) totally interesting and useful. as much as i'd heard about chang mai, i'd never seen a video of someone just walking around in a neighborhood there. as bland as that sounds, i found it helpful to see that in a lot of ways it's just like many other cities.
Very very true. Sticking to what you know.

I find that seasoned travelers get more annoyed at these inspirational videos, but it draws in a lot of noobie travelers. I guess some content will not always resonate with everyone. I'm glad you got some value out of the Chiang Mai video. I am working on a similar video for Hanoi at the moment. Cheers Matt

Ashe Anne

Website
www.simpleunderstandings.wordpress.com
Hey! Thanks for sharing! I liked your video a lot! Great work with that! I've recently been watching a lot of travel vlogs/films, and reading various forums and blogs about people's adventures... It's really been a source of inspiration. So, thank you.

I plan to embark on a solo adventure next year traveling around the US in my car, working on various farms/with communities and visiting all of the national parks as well as both coasts.. I've been thinking recently on ways to document what I'm doing and what I've learned so that others can can have a taste of what I experience. I'm a writer naturally.. but I've been getting more interested in film and photography. (though I currently lack a camera) The last time I traveled, I hitchhiked across the west coast, and to be honest, It was quite difficult for me to find the time to sit and write about all the amounts of beauty I was experiencing. There was too much going on, all the time!
So my questions for you are, how did you go about this exactly? Were you filming majority of the time, and then edited the best shots together? Or did you just pull out the camera when you thought necessary? What was your intention for this video? What kind of camera do you use? What video editing software do you use?

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey! Thanks for sharing! I liked your video a lot! Great work with that! I've recently been watching a lot of travel vlogs/films, and reading various forums and blogs about people's adventures... It's really been a source of inspiration. So, thank you.

I plan to embark on a solo adventure next year traveling around the US in my car, working on various farms/with communities and visiting all of the national parks as well as both coasts.. I've been thinking recently on ways to document what I'm doing and what I've learned so that others can can have a taste of what I experience. I'm a writer naturally.. but I've been getting more interested in film and photography. (though I currently lack a camera) The last time I traveled, I hitchhiked across the west coast, and to be honest, It was quite difficult for me to find the time to sit and write about all the amounts of beauty I was experiencing. There was too much going on, all the time!
So my questions for you are, how did you go about this exactly? Were you filming majority of the time, and then edited the best shots together? Or did you just pull out the camera when you thought necessary? What was your intention for this video? What kind of camera do you use? What video editing software do you use?
if you don't mind the shameless self-plug, you should write / post pics here on StP and we'll add it to our featured threads (aka best of stp) :D

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com

Thanks for watching! Glad you enjoyed.

I hitchhiked from FL to CA last summer uploaded an edited video for each day. You can check out the Youtube Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyW9gKNeaBRvn1k2r_ZvJEoIO-W7k1tj2

I was filming a good amount of the time, every driver mostly. Sometimes I would back off and just relax.

Here is the camera gear I use: http://www.truetransient.com/my-camera-gear/

I use Adobe Premiere.

Hope that gives you some insight. Cheers

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for watching! Glad you enjoyed.

I hitchhiked from FL to CA last summer uploaded an edited video for each day. You can check out the Youtube Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyW9gKNeaBRvn1k2r_ZvJEoIO-W7k1tj2

I was filming a good amount of the time, every driver mostly. Sometimes I would back off and just relax.

Here is the camera gear I use: http://www.truetransient.com/my-camera-gear/

I use Adobe Premiere.

Hope that gives you some insight. Cheers
that's great that you have a page listing your gear, that's usually one of my first questions. my only complaint though is that you don't have any links on that page. for example:

FOR ORGANIZATION
ELECTRONIC ACCESSORIES TRAVEL CASE
I keep my two hard drives, battery chargers, and electronic chords in this case. It's a smaller-sized, durable case that is perfect for keeping all your items organized in one spot.
there is no link in this paragraph, nor a mention of the brand, so i don't know what to search for on amazon :p

i'd recommend putting amazon affiliate links for each item, that way if people buy something based on your recommendation, you'll get a small cut.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
that's great that you have a page listing your gear, that's usually one of my first questions. my only complaint though is that you don't have any links on that page. for example:

there is no link in this paragraph, nor a mention of the brand, so i don't know what to search for on amazon :p

i'd recommend putting amazon affiliate links for each item, that way if people buy something based on your recommendation, you'll get a small cut.

...I do have Amazon links on this page. There are images of the item with a "Shop Now" button below it. Do you have your images enabled?

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
ha, doh! sorry i had my adblocker turned on. still, you might want to link the titles as well, for people with adblockers like myself :p

...by the way, i hope you don't think i'm criticizing you too much, i'm just trying to be helpful!
Ahhh good call Matt! I will do just that.

Nah man, I understand you're trying to help. I appreciate it for sure. Cheers buddy.

Daman45

Website
thebadlandssaga.wordpress.com
HI I am planning to go across America to see California. I was planning on any travels besides using my own car. I was wondering if you got any tips for a newbie traveler like myself?

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
HI I am planning to go across America to see California. I was planning on any travels besides using my own car. I was wondering if you got any tips for a newbie traveler like myself?
You're in the right place for inspiration for sure. Many different ways you can travel, search around on this forum in the trainhopping, hitchhiking forums and see how you'd like to do it.

If hitchhiking is something you're interested in check out my hitchhiking series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyW9gKNeaBRvn1k2r_ZvJEoIO-W7k1tj2

Most importantly, set a date and stick to it! Best of luck

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
if you don't mind the shameless self-plug...
You sound as if you're being serious all at the same time asking if he doesn't mind being shameless in the self-plugging area (which I find a little funny).

You do know this is Trickdaley, right?

No shame in his game.
image-jpeg.32143

PinkLore

Rambler
I've been brainstorming this video for about 3 months and haven't pulled the trigger on it until today. This video welcomes viewers to my YouTube channel and really encapsulates what my videos are all about.

Give it a watch and let me know what you think ! Thank you all for being such an inspiration to me.

This is one of favorite poems

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dmac Video life on a container ship Other Forms of Travel 6
M dump truck for life! Other Forms of Travel 17